7 Reasons to Take up Yoga
With September being National Yoga Month (and yoga is one of our favorite go-to workouts) we thought we would share a few reasons to take up yoga. Dana Kofsky, wellness coach and owner of Wellness Styled, explains why yoga is beneficial for both your body and mind – and we couldn’t agree more. We’ve personally experienced the incredible results a daily yoga practice can support. We hope this encourages you to give it a try if you haven’t, or make it a larger part of your workout regimen. To start, try a fun class or a youtube video at home!
Here are Dana’s reasons for implementing yoga:
1. Flexibility – I always wanted to be flexible, and before I started I couldn’t even touch my toes! Now it’s super easy to do so (and more!) and it’s because of my commitment to yoga.
2. Peace of mind – Yoga is an excellent resource to quiet the mind and allow yourself to stay present. Using the deep breathing to bring you back to the current space you’re in allows you to take what you learn on the mat and bring it with you into your “real life” (i.e., traffic in LA). Remembering to take a deep breath and relax can apply to so many parts of life!
3. Core strength – The core is the center of your body and therefore helps with keeping your body balanced and aligned. It’s important to build strength from there. Yoga allows you to do just that.
4. Commitment – Taking a regular yoga class is a very good way to commit to something that is beneficial for the mind, body, and spirit.
5. Relationships – It’s a great way to meet like-minded people and build on your practice. It’s nice to walk into a room where people know you!
6. Focus – Because yoga helps you stay present, it creates the ability to focus, both in and outside of class.
7. Posture – Yoga also helps so much with alignment! Because we spend so many hours at our desks, hunched over a computer, yoga can help create better alignment and better overall posture.